Do I Need A Driving License In Rwanda?
Everyone who is 18 years old and above needs a Government permit(driving license) to be able to drive in Rwanda.
So, What do you need to acquire a Rwandan driving license?
If you’ll start afresh, you’ll have to register in a local driving school then book a test.
Driving license exam starts with a road codes or regulations exam, you can buy a book and learn by yourself. You can choose to do the exam in Kinyarwanda, French or English. And you can even do it on the computer. You’ll then get a provisional driving license which would allow you to learn to drive and pass a final exam for driving license. There are plenty of driving schools in Rwanda and some speak English and French very well.
Here is where the research gets a bit tricky. Below are the rules and steps to get a valid International Driver’s License. We want to make sure you have that information. However, we called to verify with the Rwanda Police Department and they confirmed that a US and certain countries current and valid drivers license is efficient and there is NO NEED TO CHANGE YOUR LICENSE.
Here is what the rules say:
For a foreigner who is living in Rwanda needs to have a Residence Certificate and Rwandan ID Card for Foreigners/Work Permit.
If you have an international Driving license, you can drive in Rwanda with a valid Passport.
How do I get a Rwanda drivers license?
However, in case you don’t have an international driving license, here are the procedures for you to convert or exchange it for a Rwandan license:
- One can only apply for this service at the Traffic Police Department at the Rwanda National Police Headquarters.
- The applicant must write a letter to the Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety Department requesting the conversion or exchange of the foreign driver license for a Rwandese definitive driving license.
- After the approval of the request by the traffic and road safety commissioner, the applicant can apply for the conversion or exchange of the driving license through a one-stop portal for e-Government services called irembo.
- By visiting e-service website , one can access the conversion or exchange of the foreign driver license service by clicking the “Replacement of Definitive driving license” under the police section in the services offered.
- You required to pay a processing fee of 50,000 RWF and the process usually takes 21 days to complete.
- When the Rwandese definitive driver license is processed and ready a notification for collection will be sent to the applicant through E-mail and/or SMS. S/he can be required to physically present him/herself to the traffic department HQ to collect the definitive driving license.
- You are also required to present proof of identification when collecting the new driver’s license.
- A Letter addressed to the Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety Department
- Passport Or Identification Card
- Photocopy of Foreign Driver License
- Medical examination report
- Payment receipt
Office Locations & Contacts
RNP Traffic Department Headquarters
Republic of Rwanda – Rwanda National Police
KN 1 Rd, Kigali, Rwanda
P.O. BOX 6304
Phone: +250 788311155
To be eligible, one must be:
- at least 18 years and above
- a holder of a foreign driving license.
- of sound health, especially sight.
You pay only a processing fee of 50,000 RWF for converting or exchanging a foreign driving license.
The maximum processing time to convert or exchange a foreign driving license in Rwanda is twenty-one (21) days
- The validity of the Converted or Exchanged driving license is set according to your age category at the time of the conversion or exchange of the driving license.
- The validity period is 10 years for people aged 65 years or younger; For people aged between 65 and 70 years, they will consider the number of years remaining before they turn 73 years old as the validity period; while the validity period is 3 years for people aged 70 years and older.
- Firstly, One must be 18 years of age and above
- One must be a holder of foreign definitive driving license and who wants to replace them with a Rwandan definitive driving license.
- Lastly, You also have to take a medical examination to check your sight health
- Full name
- Date of birth
- City of birth
- Country of birth
- Domicile or residence
- Valid identity proof